Monday, April 20, 2009

Accuvein Audition

I went to this audition for this new pharmaceutical device named “Accuvein”. Yes as you can determine in the name, the device checks for “good veins” to tap into in order to draw blood from.

Like any other audition, you go there and don’t expect much of anything. Just go in and give it all you got. So I went to this casting place over in the Flatiron district. There were already 100 people signed up on the list.

In the room there were heavy set people, thin people, and most of all babies. Big babies, small babies, chubby babies, ugly babies, cute babies. All these babies were in carriages and strollers wailing away as their Mothers were trying to shut them up and comfort them for their audition.

When I got to the audition I was check in #99 and I thought I would have to wait forever. To my surprise it went very quickly..only 2 hours of waiting!


You watch every person; baby and Mother go into the room and see their reaction when they come out. Most of the babies went in crying and within seconds were out the door wailing stronger than ever.

Finally after sitting there for 4 hours through all this madness going on the guy calls out check in #99. I looked at my card..”Hey that’s me!” At first when I entered the room I was nervous as with any audition, though by the time I was called, I really just wanted to get this audition done and over with.

I thought it to be strange that after all that time in the waiting room, there were NO sides or lines handed out to study before going into this audition.. So I figure, great it’s going to be one of these “improv auditions”.

I get into the room; the guy takes my information and tells me to take a seat. There is one camera set up and a blue screen backdrop. I slate my name to the camera and I am expecting to get a scenario by the director to work off of and just improv this product to try and sell it.

Instead, the director says: “Roll up your sleeves as far as you can and Put out your arms so we can see your veins”. I was like what??? So I did as directed, rolled up my sleeves as far as they would go and thrust my arms out towards the camera to display the best veins I have.

The Woman in the room then comes by with a red light device and streams it up and down my arms to “highlight” the best veins. Then the hard part came, I was asked to show the back of my arms. Same thing again this time with the red light up and down the arms to the hands. After 5 seconds that was it! Thank-you and get out! Next!

So much for getting that part. I didn’t have the right veins! Can you believe this? I would have had better luck being a heroin addict to have the best veins to tap into.

Maybe this product is being marketed to druggies! Who knows? What I do know is that I faltered at another audition, wasted an entire day to do this and don’t get the part b/c my veins are not good enough.

Go figure.
CA.

No comments: